After spending the whole week passing the stomach flu around the house, I thought that my little family was on the mend. Izabel had it bad on Monday, I had it bad on Wednesday, and it finally hit Alex bad on Thursday. Jim seems to have miraculously escaped the evil possession of the toilet worshipers, LUCKY HIM!
Friday started out pretty normal, except for all the runny poo in the kids diapers. I myself was finally over the runs and feeling a little stronger, I decided to re-up my exercise program. After 55 minutes of fat burning cardiovascular activity, I thought I was going to be worshiping in the bathroom again. I ached and my stomach was literally doing flip-flops. I layed on the floor for about 5 minutes waiting for the world to stop spinning and wondered if I was ever going to get up. I told myself I would, and did.
Since the kids were still napping at this point, and I hadn't gotten anything done all week do to being sick, I began cleaning my house. By the time the kids had awoken, I had everything, except the vacuuming, done, and took a much needed break. I thought to myself that I should check my email, it would only take a few minutes. Upon arriving at the computer, I noticed that a friend I hadn't talked to since I got married, had written me a message.
We had kind of been playing message tag since the Saturday before when I was playing on my sisters computer, and his name popped up in one of those MSN Messenger boxes. I asked Terri if she talked to him. "Sometimes," was her reply. Wondering how this friend had been since I last heard anything about them, (which was a year and a half prior), I typed a hello message in the conversation box. Nothing. That was ok, I am not naive to think that just because it says someone has logged on, they are in a position to chat. So I figured that if he wanted to talk to me, he would find a way to get in touch with me. He did.
I replied to his message that we seem to be missing each other when we are on-line. Less than a minute later, he responded. We chatted for about 2 hours, catching up.
Now I know that while I am on the computer, that doesn't mean I have an excuse to ignore my kids. I don't. In fact, most of the time they are in the room with me reading books, or playing in the living room, watching t.v. Sometimes one of them comes and sits on my lap while I am on the computer. Today, Alex was sitting on my lap and Izabel was watching Sleeping Beauty for the 100th time when I began chatting with my friend.
After Alex got tired of my lap, he went and joined Izabel in the living room. I would get up about every 10-20 minutes, or if I heard something from them that needed to be addressed, to check on them.
So I was chatting along and I heard scraping on the wall just outside of the room. Wondering what it was, I got up to see. Somehow, the kids had gotten a hold of a black Sharpie and an ink pen. The ink pen was what I saw first. Alex was sitting, facing the wall, scraping it with the pen, no real damage. Then I looked up and saw a large black line down the side of the wall. I looked over at Izzy and low and behold, her had colored all over herself with the marker.
As I walked over to her to take the marker away, I began laughing. She looked ridiculous. I knew the kids weren't totally to blame for the mess. I had left the pen and the Sharpie where they could get them, and they took the opportunity while they had it. However, this was not the end of the artwork discoveries.
I took the marker away from Izzy, and with pen and marker in hand, I turned to face the t.v. and put the objects up, when I noticed the masterpiece all over the 57" screen. My heart sunk. All I could think was that Jim would be furious. I turned back to Izzy and said, "You better thank heaven that I know a trick that might get the marker off of the t.v.!"
My little trick worked. If you ever find a white board or screen with permanent marker on it, go over it with a dry-erase marker. 9 times out of 10, the permanent marker will come right off.
It took me 30 minutes to get all of the Sharpie ink off the t.v. (yes, it was that detailed!!). I was glad that the trick worked, but was a bit at odds as to what to do for the walls (the trick only made the mess worse on the walls).
While I was working on the large black line, I noticed more artwork on the linen closet door, and on another wall (man my kids are good, in a sneaky way). Bleach wasn't really doing anything. I then remembered a commercial for a new product from Mr. Clean, the Magic Eraser. I went out and bought one over the weekend, and let me tell you, Mr. Clean is my new best friend.
The Magic Eraser not only took the marker off the walls and the doors, it also took off the crayon that had been on the back of Izzy's door for months. I loved it, and it took little effort or muscle on my part.
So my day had huge ups and downs, but it ended on a huge up. Jim took us with him to Visalia that night (he had to go there to drop off something for work), and we went to A&W for dinner.