While messing around on Pinterest yesterday (have I mentioned I LOVE Pinterest?), I came across two recipes that I thought would be fun to do with the kids. I was so excited about them, I actually went to the store, picked up the few ingredients I was missing for one of them, and decided that was what we were going to have for dinner and dessert.
We made Soft Pretzels and Campfire Cones (click on them if you would like the recipes for yourself)
Let's start with the Campfire Cones. First I gathered all the ingredients, and put the goodies in a cupcake pan like the recipe suggested.
Then I gave each of the kids a Dixie cup and showed them what to do. They thought picking their own goodies and putting them in the Dixie cups was really cool.
But the most fun was what they got to do after they were do choosing their goodies. To help mix them up, they got to shake,
shake,
and shake their cups.
The next step was getting the goodies, into the cones. I had them dump in a little at a time, then use their fingers to lightly tap the goodies down into the cones.
After the cones were stuff, we wrapped them in tin foil.
Since we didn't have a campfire to throw these in, we placed them all on a cookie sheet, and baked them in a the oven at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes (just long enough to get warm and gooey).
When they had cooled for only a minute, the kids enjoyed their creations.
For dinner, we made Soft Pretzels. I made the dough ahead of time, and let each of the kids roll out their own pretzel.
After they made their pretzel (and not all in pretzel shape, but hey, whatever works), I blanched them in a boiling water/baking soda bath, then placed them on greased cookie sheets. Then each of the kids got to spread an egg yoke mixture on top of their pretzels, and sprinkle either Parmesan cheese, sea salt, or both on the tops.
When the first pan came out of the oven, I discovered the temp requirement on the recipe, might be to high for my oven so I turned it down a bit, and
the next pan came out perfect!
The kids had so much fun making and eating their dinner.

0 comments:
Post a Comment