This last week was definitely a cake week. I almost thought I bit off more than I could chew, but I got through it.
The first cake I had to make last week was a Hawaiian Luau themed birthday cake. I don't know who Josy is, but I really hope she liked it. The cake was chocolate, with a coconut butter cream filling. The icing scheme I was going for was a water-land-sunset pattern.
The second cake I made was for my dear friend Julie. She had asked me months ago to teach her young women's group some decorating basics. It so happened, that the night we scheduled it, was the night before her birthday. So while I was teaching the young women, I was doing it while decorating this cake in front of her. I think she was really surprised when I finished it and then told her it was for her (thus, the blue and the Mickey).
Not only did the young women have a blast decorating their own cakes, but I made so many cakes, that we let the Scouts eventually join us too.
The third cake I made this week was for one of the coolest ladies I have ever had the privilege of knowing. She turned 75 (I was shocked at her age, and if you knew her, you would be too), and her daughter had asked me if I would make her birthday cake. I had originally planned a 3-tiered cake, all white, with a strawberry filling. Unfortunately, while I was frosting the bottom two layers, they literally crumbled to pieces in front of my eyes. After I got over the shock of this occurrence (that has never happened to me before, and I still have no idea why, just my luck I guess), I decided to scrap the bottom two layers and made a new bottom layer out of funfetti, and filled it with strawberry filling.
Anyways, here was the finished product.
Along with the cake, I was sent 12 pictures that represent the life of the birthday gal. To elegantly included them, I made hangers out of floral wire and hung all, but the picture for the topper, around the cake.
0 comments:
Post a Comment