From my previous entry, it is obvious we are seriously potty training Izabel at this point.
After the first night of waiting for her to pee in the floor potty, she has progressed very rapidly. The next day, in fact, she decided she wanted to start using the big potty. After doing this routine of me taking her to the potty every hour or so, I decided to start putting her in panties. She loved this idea many because her panties have My Little Ponies, Curious George, Tinkerbell, or Dora the Explorer on them. Her first day with panties was great, except for the little bit of tinkling on the way home from the mall.
Everything looked like it was going smoothly. I was even beginning to think that we would be able to get rid of the night diaper soon as well. I was wrong.
Monday rolled around, and the protest began. "NO POTTY," she started screaming, and then it was realized that the only time she had a bowel movement in the week was went she had a diaper on during the night. We continued to have her pee on the potty and wear panties, but poo never came.
Poo came in her panties on Tuesday, and she was reminded that it is suppose to go in the potty. Because of this, we decided to leave her naked the next day to see if it would help her get the idea (she doesn't have accidents when she is naked).
On Wednesday, I was picking up the house, and thought that Izzy and Alex were playing quietly in Izzy's room, when Alex came walking up to me with what I thought at first sight was one of the Little People. At a closer look, i realized it was POO. Izzy had gone poo on the floor, and Alex was playing with it. As grossed out as I was at this, I grabbed the poo from Alex, and called Izzy into the bathroom, with the poo in one hand, and Alex in tow in the other. I showed her were poo was suppose to go by throwing it in the toilet. I then made her flush it away, while I washed mine and Alex's hands.
After Alex and I were clean, I got out the wipes and cleaned up the bit of poo that was still stuck to Izzy's bum, then went and made sure there was no more poo in her room.
I had hoped that she got the point, but she didn't. The same thing happened on Thursday, except this time, Alex was using some of their kitchen toys to play with it. I did the same exercise as the previous day, but this time, I tried not to be too disappointed and act matter-of-fact like, and I showed Izzy again that poo is suppose to go in the potty and then added, "Maybe next time you could try to make it in the potty, ok."
I am very frustrated at this point. Last night Izzy refused to wear a diaper, and everything says that if the child doesn't want to wear the diaper, don't make them. This morning Izzy awoke in a lake of her own urine. I wanted to cry for her remembering the days when I was a bed-wetter, and the humiliation I felt growing up because of this. I do not want that for my children, but her current bed-wetting experience seems to be more from defiance and choice, rather than something she hasn't figured out how to control.
0 comments:
Post a Comment