On Saturday evening, Jim and I had decided we had had enough, and it was time to really let Izabel know she needed to potty train. Potty training has been a constant headache for me, in the sense that I have trained my daughter about how to sit on the potty, how to wipe, flush, and even wash her hands. She will do everything, except actually do her business in anything but a diaper.
So back to Saturday night...Jim took her into the bathroom and sat her on the toilet. She screamed, "NO POTTY," many times. Jim then got out the little potty that sits on the floor, and put Izabel on it. She continued to scream. We even tried making deals with her, such as she could have popcorn if she went wee wee in the potty. This deal seemed to only stop the crying, and 15 minutes later, we were all still sitting in the bathroom waiting for Izzy to pee.
I then got the idea to read to her while we waited. I went and got Once Upon a Potty, by Alona Frankel, and after reading it 3 times (which was probably about 15 more minutes), and with lots of giggles by Izzy, she finally started to trickle.
At the sight of the little trickle, Jim and I began to cheer and clap, causing Izzy to trickle some more, and giggle, then trickle, till she finally just let it all go.
We were so proud of her. She is continuing to work on it, but it no longer takes 30 minutes to get her to go, and there is a lot less screaming.
0 comments:
Post a Comment