Yesterday morning, Jim and I woke at the wee hours of the morning to take Izabel and Alex to the Sierra Kids Triathlon. It was Izzy's first time participating, and Alex's second. While we waited for their waves to begin, we killed time by playing Angry Birds.
Izzy's wave was before Alex's. She had to swim 50 meters, bike 2 miles, and run a half a mile. She did great on the swim, and before hand, Jim and I decided that I would run beside her on the bike. Shortly after starting the bike course, she began to whine and kept jumping off her bike, saying it was going to fall over on her. I kept telling her that the only time it tips over is when she jumps off, otherwise, the training wheels keep it upright. It took us FOREVER to get to the 3/4 of a mile point, I even was literally pushing her on the bike for about a 1/4 of it.
When we reached the 3/4 mile point, she was still whining and refusing to pedal, and I was already physically and mentally tired, so I told her, "You know what Izzy? I don't care if you get a medal or not. I all you want to do is whine and cry, we can be done now." I guess she didn't like my tough love, because she gave me a sour look, kicked it into gear, and rode off. I couldn't even keep up with her, I was so proud.
Jim met up with her for the last 1/4 of the bike and ran her 1/2 mile with her, while Alex and I cheered her on and ran the last 200 meters with her. She came in dead last, but we didn't care...she finished!
Alex, on the other hand, had to swim 25 meters, bike 1 mile, and run 1/4 of a mile. According to Jim, he did his best swim ever, and was one of the only kids in his wave that didn't use a flotation device. When coming out of transition on the bike, he and a little girl crashed together. They both were ok, but Alex was a little discouraged. He kept going anyways, and finished his 2nd triathlon in enough time to cheer Izzy on.
Izzy's wave was before Alex's. She had to swim 50 meters, bike 2 miles, and run a half a mile. She did great on the swim, and before hand, Jim and I decided that I would run beside her on the bike. Shortly after starting the bike course, she began to whine and kept jumping off her bike, saying it was going to fall over on her. I kept telling her that the only time it tips over is when she jumps off, otherwise, the training wheels keep it upright. It took us FOREVER to get to the 3/4 of a mile point, I even was literally pushing her on the bike for about a 1/4 of it.
When we reached the 3/4 mile point, she was still whining and refusing to pedal, and I was already physically and mentally tired, so I told her, "You know what Izzy? I don't care if you get a medal or not. I all you want to do is whine and cry, we can be done now." I guess she didn't like my tough love, because she gave me a sour look, kicked it into gear, and rode off. I couldn't even keep up with her, I was so proud.
Jim met up with her for the last 1/4 of the bike and ran her 1/2 mile with her, while Alex and I cheered her on and ran the last 200 meters with her. She came in dead last, but we didn't care...she finished!
Alex, on the other hand, had to swim 25 meters, bike 1 mile, and run 1/4 of a mile. According to Jim, he did his best swim ever, and was one of the only kids in his wave that didn't use a flotation device. When coming out of transition on the bike, he and a little girl crashed together. They both were ok, but Alex was a little discouraged. He kept going anyways, and finished his 2nd triathlon in enough time to cheer Izzy on.

0 comments:
Post a Comment