Today I took Izabel to the movie theater for the first time.
I am one of those people who hates it when you are sitting in a movie and all of a sudden, someone baby starts to cry. I don't understand why people would take their young children to the movies when they are most likely going to cry in the middle, causing you to have to take them out of the auditorium, and since there is no time limit on how long a child will be upset for, you just wasted $10 because you aren't even watching the movie. Thus, my children haven't been to the movie theater.
Jim got us free tickets to see a preview of Curious George. So we talked about it and decided that maybe it was time to take Izzy to her first movie in a theater. Since the movie was going to be free, it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to leave in the middle because Izzy was misbehaving or upset.
When Izzy and I walked into the theater, I thought her eyes were going to fall out of her head. She was in awe. However, this only lasted for about 10 minutes. Because we had to stand in line for 30 minutes before they let us into the auditorium, Izzy became restless and started to throw a fit. She then ran off a couple of times and I had to go and retrieve her. The people I was in line with were very understanding and let me have my place back every time.
Once we were in the auditorium, we found our seats and once more, Izzy was in awe. Five minutes later she was out of her seat and running up the stairs to the top of the stadium seating. I guess she wanted to pick the seats. We ended up at the top on one of the ends (in case we had to leave). I thought we were going to be ok until the movie started, but I was wrong.
Izzy finally realized that most of the people in the auditorium were eating popcorn and immediately began whining, "popcorn, Popcorn, POPCORN!" The lady sitting next to us said she would save our seats and we proceeded down the stadium seating stairs to go to the concession stand.
After waiting about 20 minutes in line at the concessions, Izzy and I headed back into the auditorium, only to discover the movie had already started. When we got back to our seats, I inquired as to how long ago the movie had started. The lady (who kindly saved our seats) told me it started 10 minutes ago.
Izzy was content for about 45 minutes with her popcorn and soda. She said quietly, eating and watching. It seemed all was going well. Then she got restless. First she sat on the floor for 10 minutes, then back in her seat for a while, then we spent the rest of the movie on the stairs next our seat (she occasionally started going down the stairs and I had to go get her).
All in all, it wasn't too bad. I felt she did pretty good (for Izzy). I also enjoyed the movie, it was really cute, and I think Izzy did too.